CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Photobucket

Sierra 4 Ever

Tree Planted in Sierra's Memory

Tree Planted in Sierra's Memory
Thank you Mrs. Ray, Sierra's classmates & Valrico Elementary

Sierra's Video Montage Played At Her Service - Sierra Through The Years

Monday, August 11, 2008

Tropic Thunder


I like comedies, they are my favorite types of movies. I have to say that when I saw the previews of Tropic Thunder, I thought it was going to be a funny, let's go see it type of movie. Then I found out something and here is a snippet of the dialogue in the movie that I got from our little friend Kennedy's site www.myspecialks.com. Here it is:

The actor character played by Ben Stiller, Tugg Speedman, has key scenes in the movie which recreate a character he has played called Simple Jack. Jack is a ‘retard’. This element of the movie gives rise to a slew of objectionable phrases slanted directly at the disabled. Take the following, a conversation between Downey Jr’s character and Stiller’s, revolving around Stiller’s decision to play said ‘retard’:

Stiller: There were times when I was doing Jack when I actually felt retarded. Like really retarded.

Downey: Oh yeah. Damn.

Stiller: In a weird way, I had to sort of just free myself up to believe that it was okay to be stupid or dumb.

Downey: To be a moron.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: To be moronical.

Stiller: Exactly.

Downey: An imbecile.

Stiller: Yeah. When I was playing a character.

Downey: When you was a character.

Stiller: Yeah, I mean, as Jack. Definitely.

Downey: It’s like working with mercury. It’s how science makes art form.

Stiller: Yeah.

Downey: You an artist.

Stiller: It’s what we do, right?

Downey: Everybody knows you never do a full retard.

Stiller: What do you mean?

Downey: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, Rainman, look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Count toothpicks to your cards. Autistic. Sure. Not retarded.

You know Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump. Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and he won a ping-pong competition? That ain’t retarded.

You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.

They make fun of people with special needs and guess what Sierra falls into that category. I have always hated the word "retard" as I have hated what people with Downs were called before "mongoloid." Am I making a big deal?!!Yes I am and I feel I and all parents of children with special needs should as well. In this day of being "politically correct" why is it still okay to make fun of the mentally disabled? My daughter had many challenges but she faced them all with the heart of a champion. I defy anyone in Hollywood to face what my daughter did with the determination to fight and always with a smile. I for one and for many of my fellow 'special needs' families will not be going to see this movie and I hope that many of you do not as well. It is time to give people with special needs the respect & admiration that they truly deserve. I hope you understand my heart in this matter and not go to see a movie that doesn't care and feels it is okay to make fun of someone like my Sierra. Please, do not go. My friend Renee, said it best on her blog and you can link on it from this post. I hope that I conveyed how wrong this is and that it should never happen again. Thanks!!!

3 comments:

Anissa Mayhew said...

I was just reading about this movie on 5 Minutes For Special Needs, and it's sickening to think of how they're using a serious issue that affects so many people as a reason to laugh. I'm all for physical comedy, I'm all for inappropriate humor, but that dialogue is ugly and hurtful and hateful and it needs to not happen. There are many groups coming together to boycott that movie for just that reason and I know that I won't be watching it or renting it.

Love,
Anissa
www.hope4peyton.org

Nick McGivney said...

Comment No 2: Everyone who doesn't go to this movie because of what you, I or someone else is writing about with the 'retard' issue is sending a message to Hollywood. Maybe our good example will finally rub off on their bad. When the people targetted cannot defend themselves it's ugly, not funny.

Proud Momma of 3 said...

Exactly Nick and thank you. It is just like bullying where the big bad (but cowardly) bully will pick on the smaller more defenseless kid to make himself look better. Hollywood to me is bullying people with special needs because they feel they are defenseless. Hollywood is being politically correct now and being careful by what they put in the movies in regards to people of different races or sexual orientation but people who are delayed mentally they can target. It is unfair and time that this type of bullying and ignorant thinking is put a stop to.

Site Meter

Followers

Blog Archive